Effective immediately, the Associated Builders and Contractors of Michigan Self Insured Workers’ Compensation Fund (ABC Fund) is now approved to insure residential contractors and builders and is endorsed by the Home Builders Association of Michigan (HBA).
This market expansion will focus on the well-established residential contractors domiciled in Michigan. The ABC Fund will provide the same benefits and cost savings currently being offered to eligible members of Associated Builders and Contractors of Michigan (ABC) and the three ABC Chapters.
HBA of Michigan contractor member eligibility guidelines:
- Have an excellent track record of low claims
- Perform more than 50% of their work in residential building as determined by revenue and current and past project lists. Contractors with more than 50% of gross revenue in the commercial sector may be considered under an ABC Chapter membership
- $15,000 minimum premium is required
- Minimum of three (3) years in business
- Residential drywall, framing, and roofing contractors are not eligible in addition to other high exposure operations
- Current ABC Fund members who joined the Fund prior to the HBA endorsement are not eligible to transfer their association membership from ABC to HBA
Established in 1995, the ABC Fund continues to provide the most cost-effective solution for workers’ compensation costs with over $104 million returned back to members. This represents a 45% average return since inception. As a member-owned program it currently represents more than 540 contractors and over $29 million in premium. Member retention continues to be over 98%.
The Fund is represented by an appointed network of independent agencies throughout the state and administered by RPS Regency. For more information contact Dawn Simmon at or 517.664.2754.